Table of contents
Pam Rajput Committee
Set up by the WCD Min in order to empower women. Submitted its report in 2015. Govt came up with a draft national policy for women based on this report in 2016. Not implemented yet.
Shyam Benegal Committee
CBFC should only be a film certification body whose scope should be restricted to categorizing the suitability of the film.
- Refuse certification only on contravention of Section 5B (1) of the Cinematograph Act, 1952.
- Categorisation of films should be more specific. UA Category can be broken up into further sub-categories – UA12+ and UA15+.
Justice Verma Committee
Setup post Nirbhaya case. Recommended criminalising marital rape under S. 375 IPC.
2.2 Centre-State Relations
Sarkaria Commission, 1988:
- Should be used very sparingly and as a matter of last resort.
- Material fact and grounds of invocation should be made an integral part of the Proclamation.
- Governor’s report to be a "speaking document" and should be given wide publicity.
Recommendations on Appointment of Governor :
- should be an eminent person from outside the State;
- Detached person not too intimately connected with the local politics of the State;
- Appointed in consultation with the CM, VP of India and the Speaker of LS;
- After demitting his office, the person appointed as Governor should not be eligible for any other appointment. Only eligible for higher constitutional office.
- At the end of his tenure, reasonable post-retirement benefits should be provided.
The Commission felt that the State Government should be given prominence in appointing the Governor. The appointment should be made from a panel to be prepared by the State Legislature; or from a panel to be prepared by the State Government or invariably by the Chief Minister.
Punchi Commission, 2007
- Fixed term of five years for Governors.
- Removal by the process of impeachment by the State Legislature.
- Governor should have the right to sanction prosecution of a minister against the advice of the council of ministers.
- It proposed that Centre should have power to deploy its forces in case of communal conflagration without state’s consent for a short period of a week.
Rajamannar committee: centre-state fiscal relationship.
- No decision of national importance should be taken by the central govt without consulting the Inter States Council.
- Vesting of residuary subjects with states.Sarkaria Commission
2.3 Dispute redressal and various institutions
Justice Mulla Committee: Prison reforms
- Government should come up with National Policy on Prisons.
- Permanent National Commission on Prisons.
- AIS - Indian Prisons and Correctional Service.
- Promote research in the field of criminology.
- Training and awareness for personnel. (Gautam Navlakha case)
Justice Krishna Iyer Committee:
Women prisons should be staffed by women only.
2.12 Welfare Schemes for Vulnerable Sections
Justice Rohini Singh Committee: OBC subcategorization.
Dr. Mohini Giri report: on welfare of senior citizens.
2.13 Social Sector - Education
Kadiyam Srihari Committee: To look into issues of girls' education.
3.1 Indian Economy
PK Mohanty Committee: RBI proposals to shore up bank boards.
KV Kamath Committee: Assess Covid related impact on bad loans.
RBI Deputy Governor Anand Sinha reported upon Pricing of Credit. Bringing a benchmark floating interest rate, especially for home loans.
HR Khan Committee:
- proposed that banks should be allowed to pledge corporate bonds as collateral to borrow funds from the Reserve Bank’s overnight repo window.
- RBI allows only government securities till now.
- Proposed adoption of Blockchain Technology in banks.
3.3 Fiscal Issues
N.K. Singh committee: To review the FRBM Act, 2003.
- Growing trend of off-budget spending.
- Reduce fiscal deficit to less that 2% by 2022. Current 2.5%.
- Reduce total government debt to 60%. 20% for states and 40% for centre.
Arvind Mayaram committee: to rationalize the definitions of FII and FDI.
Ashok Dalwai Committee: Reforms needed to double farmer's incomes.
- Relaxation of ExIm norms.
- Pledge funds.
- Upgradation of silos.
- Negotiable warehouse receipts.
Arvind Subramanian Committee:
- to tackle the shortage of pulses in India.
- Recommended hike in MSP and Bonus on Pulses production.
MS Swaminathan Committee: National Commission on Farmers.
- Assurance of basic resources.
- Agriculture in concurrent list.
- Prevention of diversion of agri land for non-agri uses.
- Access to common property resources.
- State level farmer's commission with farmers representatives.
- APMCs should serve an area of 80 km2. (Currently at 496 km2)
3.5 Food Security
Shanta Kumar Committee: High level committee on food security. Look into restructuring of FCI.
Dharia committee: PDS refoms.
Bibek Debroy Committee: On mobilisation of resources for major railway projects and restructuring of Rail Min. Rail Development Authority.
Anil Kakodkar Committee: Railway reforms including safety, organisation, Signalling, comms., HRD, education and training, ecosystem concern, etc. Rashtriya Rail Sanraksha Kosh. Non lapsable fund.
3.10 Investment Models
Kelkar Committee: on PPP restructuring.
Kris Gopalkrishnan Committee: On non-personal data. Three major categories defined:
- Public: census, SRS, NFHS.
- Private: collected by proprietary software, generated by individuals.
- Community: from people living in a particular area.Also suggested norms for data harvesting.
A.K Bhargava Committee: Net Neutrality.
Justice Shri Krishna Committee: on data protection bill.
- Right to be forgotten.
Amitabh Kant Committee:
- Identifying various bottlenecks affecting access to digital payments.
- Review e-commerce rules.
Ratan Watal Committee: Review existing payment system in the country and recommend for measures for more use of digital payments.
- BPSS (Board of payment and settlement system): Amend PSS act 2007.
- promote digital payment: providing incentives.
- DIPAYAN: DIgital PAYment Action Network.
Shailesh Nayak Committee: Review the Issues relating to the Coastal Regulation Zone.
Anupam Varma Committee: Banning the use of 18 hazardous Pesticides.
Chitale committee: On desiltation of Ganga.
3.17 Internal Security
Biplab Kumar Sarma Committee: Look into implementation of the Assam Accords.
Prakash Singh Committee: on structural reforms in policing to prevent damage like caused during the Jat agitation.
3.19 Border Management
Madhukar Gupta committee: on Indo Pak border. CIBMS on borders.