1. Consider the following statements regarding Methane Alert and Response System.
- It was launched at the 27th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- It is a platform set up mainly to curb methane emissions.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) Both 1 & 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
Exp: The Methane Alert and Response System was launched at the COP27 which is the United Nation’s annual conference on climate change. It is set up to devise strategies for curbing methane emissions.
It will allow governments and businesses to access data and respond to the threats of climate change. The Sixth Assessment Report by IPCC states that methane contributes 1/4th of today’s global warming issues. MARS will be a publicly available system connecting methane detection to notification processes.
2. The idea of LiFE was introduced by the Prime Minister during
a) UN Climate Change Conference 26, Glasgow
b) UN Climate Change Conference 27, Sharm El Sheikh
c) Bonn Convention
d) G7 forum
Exp: LiFE is 'Lifestyle for Environment'. “It connects the powers of the people for the protection of this earth, and teaches them to utilize it in a better way. Mission LiFE makes the fight against climate change democratic, in which everyone can contribute within their capacity. It was introduced by the PM on the occasion of COP 26 of UNFCCC in Glasgow.
3. Which of the following biogeographic realms can be found in India?
- Palearctic Realm
- Malayan Realm
- Nearctic Realm
- Neotropical Realm
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
a) 2 and 4 only
b) 2 only
c) 1 and 2 only
d) 2, 3 and 4 only
Exp: Biogeographic realms are large spatial regions within which ecosystems share a broadly similar biota.
A realm is a continent or sub-continent sized area with unifying features of geography and fauna & flora.
The Indian region is composed of two realms. They are:
- the Himalayan region represented by Palearctic Realm and
- the rest of the sub-continent represented by Malayan Realm
In world, Eight terrestrial biogeographic realms are typically recognised. They are
4. Consider the following statements regarding Biodiversity Hotspots:
- It must contain 15000 species of vascular plants.
- It must have lost 70% of its original habitat.
- India has three Biodiversity Hotspots.
Which of the above statements is/are correct:
a) 1 and 3
b) 3 only
c) 1, 2 and 3
d) 2 only
Exp: The correct answer is d) 2 only.
Biodiversity Hotspots are defined as areas with high levels of endemic species and high levels of threat. The criteria for identifying Biodiversity Hotspots are as follows:
The area must have at least 1,500 species of vascular plants as endemics, i.e. they are found nowhere else in the world.
The area must have lost at least 70% of its original habitat.
There must be a high degree of threat to the remaining habitat.
Therefore, statement 1 is incorrect as the number of endemic plant species required is 1,500 and not 15,000.
Statement 2 is correct as it is one of the criteria for identifying Biodiversity Hotspots.
Statement 3 is incorrect as India has not three but four Biodiversity Hotspots: the Western Ghats, the Himalayas, Sundaland and Indo-Burma region.
Hence, the correct answer is d) 2 only.
5. Consider the following statements regarding a Biosphere Reserve:
It contains Balpakram National Park.
Semsang River flows through this Biosphere Reserve.
Rongbang Dare waterfall, Napak Lake are important sights located here.
Identify the Biosphere Reserve:
a) Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve
b) Manas Biosphere Reserve
c) Nokrek Biosphere Reserve
d) Pachmarhi Biosphere Reserve
Exp: The Biosphere Reserve that matches the given statements is Nokrek Biosphere Reserve. It is located in Meghalaya, India, and contains Balpakram National Park. The Semsang River flows through the reserve, and Rongbang Dare waterfall and Napak Lake are important sights located here.
6. Select the letter-cluster that can replace the question mark (?) in the following series. CXB, HUI, MRP, ROW, ?
Exp: CXB, HUI, MRP, ROW => WLD.
7. P, L, T, B, N and D are six members of a business family. N is the son of B, who is not the mother of N. L is the brother of B. D and B are a married couple. T is the daughter of D, who is the sister of P. How is
N related to T?
Cover the entire CSAT syllabus in 70 hours.