1. Which one of the following statements about the Godavari river is not correct?
a) Kumbh Mela takes place on the banks of the Godavari river in Nashik.
b) The Godavari basin extends over the states of Maharashtra, Telangana, and Andhra Pradesh only.
c) Polavaram Project is located in Andhra Pradesh on the river Godavari,
d) Pravara, Purna, Manjra, Penganga, and Wardha are some of the tributaries of river Godavari.
Exp: The Godavari basin extends over the states of Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Odisha in addition to smaller parts in Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka and the Union territory of Puducherry.
2. Consider the following statements:
- In India, the dryland farming is largely confined to the regions having annual rainfall less than 75 cm.
- In wetland farming, the rainfall is in excess of the soil moisture requirement of plants during the rainy season.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
Exp: Both the statements are correct here.
3. Consider the following statements with reference to ' Karewas ':
- Karewas are the thick deposits of glacial clay and other materials embedded with moraines.
- It is useful for the cultivation of Zafran.
- Zafar is a local variety of saffron.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 1 and 3 only
c) 1, 2 and 3 only
d) 2 and 3 only
Exp: Statement 1 is correct : Karewas are the thick deposits of glacial clay and other materials embedded with moraines. Karewas are lacustrine deposits. According to geographers, the Karewa Formation is a glacial- fluvial-lacustrine and aeolian loss of the PlioPleistocene age.
Statements 2 and 3 are correct : The Kashmir Himalayas are also famous for Karewa formations, which are useful for the cultivation of Zafran, a local variety of saffron. It lies between the Pir Panjal Range and the Great Himalayan Range, in Northwest India.
4. Consider the following statements with reference to "Igneous Rock ":
- They are formed out of existing rocks undergoing recrystallization.
- They are devoid of fossils.
- Quartzite and granite are igneous rocks.
Select the incorrect answer using the code given below:
a) 1 and 3 only
b) 1 and 2 only
c) 1, 2 and 3
Statement 1 is incorrect: Igneous rocks form out of magma and lava from the interior of the earth, so they are known as primary rocks.
Statement 2 is correct: Igneous rocks are devoid of any fossils. This is because any fossils in the original rock will have melted when the rock melted to form magma.
Igneous rocks are classified based on texture. The texture depends upon the size and arrangement of grains or other physical conditions of the materials. If molten material is cooled slowly at great depths, mineral grains may be very large. Sudden cooling (at the surface) results in small and smooth grains. Intermediate conditions of cooling would result in intermediate sizes of grains making up igneous rocks.
Granite, gabbro, pegmatite, basalt, volcanic breccia, and tuff are some of the examples of igneous rocks.
Statement 3 is incorrect: Gneissoid, granite, syenite, slate, schist, marble, quartzite etc. are some examples of metamorphic rocks.
5. Consider the following statements regarding Cyclones.
- Extra-tropical cyclones are frontal in origin.
- Cyclones in the North Hemisphere rotate in a clockwise direction.
- Anti-cyclones rotate in anti-clockwise direction in the North Hemisphere.
Choose the correct statement(s).
a) 1 only
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 1, 2 and 3
d) 1 and 3 only
Exp: Extratropical cyclones develop when a wave forms on a frontal surface separating a warm air mass from a cold air mass. Opposite of a Cyclone, Anti-cyclone is a weather phenomenon defined as a large-scale circulation of winds around a central region of high atmospheric pressure. Cyclones rotate in anti-clockwise and clockwise direction in the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere respectively, and vice versa is true for the Anti-cyclones.
6. If FLOWER is coded as 14 and DISTANCE is coded as 18, then how will BUREAUCRAT be coded as?
FLOWER (there are 6 letters in the word): 6 × 2 = 12; 12 + 2 = 14
DISTANCE (there are 8 letters in the word): 8 × 2 = 16; 16 + 2 = 18
BUREAUCRAT (there are 10 letters in the word): 10 × 2 = 20; 20 + 2 = 22
Hence, 22 is the correct answer.
7. Rikita is 25 years old. If Mohan’s age is 25% greater than that of Rikita then how much percent Rikita’s age is less than Mohan’s age?
Exp: Rikita age = 25.
Mohan age = 25*125/100 = 31.25 years.
Percentage Decrease = 25/31.25*100 = 80%, Decrease = 20%.
Percentage decrease = 25/125 * 100 = 20%