1. Which of these zones are examples of ocean-ocean convergent plate boundaries subduction zones?
- Philippines zone.
- Mid-Atlantic Ridge zone.
- Aleutian zone.
Juan de Fuca Ridge zone.
a) 1, 2 and 3 only
b) 2, 3 and 4 only
c) 2 and 4 only
d) 1 and 3 only
Exp: Convergent boundaries are found in those areas where two plates move towards each other and the heavier one subsides. The Aleutian subduction zone is a convergent zone between the North American Plate and Pacific Plate. The Pacific Plate subducts under the North American Plate and is basically an ocean-ocean boundary subduction zone.
The Philippines is located between Philippines Sea and Eurasian plates and is still undergoing active subduction and collision. The subduction zones include Manila Trench and the Philippine Trench and is an example of ocean-ocean boundaries subduction zone.
2. Which of the following are the possible reasons for a Storm Surge?
- The depth of the sea and shape of the coastline.
- Movement and temperature of ocean tides.
- Low air pressure of the storm.
Choose the correct option from below.
a) 1 and 3 only
b) All the above
c) 1 and 2 only
d) 2 and 3 only
Exp: All the statements are correct. Storm surge is an unusual rise of sea water due to a storm. When a hurricane reaches the coast, it pushes a huge volume of ocean water ashore which is called a storm surge.
The height of the storm surge is determined by strong winds and low air pressure of the storm. The depth of the seafloor is also a reason because a sea floor that gently slopes away from the coastline is more likely to see a higher storm surge. When a storm surge approaches a bay or river, the geography of the land can act as a funnel sending water at heights which means that the shape of the coastline is also a factor. Ocean tides can also strengthen or weaken the impact of storm surge.
3. Consider the following statements with reference to Anti Cyclones:
- It rotates clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere and anti-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere.
- It has an outward-spiraling air circulation around a high-pressure centre.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
Exp: Statement 1 is Incorrect - Winds in the anticyclones blow clockwise in the northern hemisphere and anticlockwise in the southern hemisphere.
4. Ring of Fire refers to:
a) Circum-Pacific Belt
b) Mid-Atlantic Ridges
c) Circumpolar Current
d) Sargasso Sea
Exp: Ring of Fire refers to Circum-Pacific Belt which is the region which forms the boundary of the Pacific Ocean. This region is characterized by multiple convergent boundaries making it prone to Earthquakes and Volcanoes. Thus, it is appropriately known as Ring of Fire.
5. Consider the following
- Annual rainfall less than 75 cm.
- Acacias and Euphorbias are very prominent.
- The Indian wild date is common.
The above descriptions best relate to which of the following?
a) Tropical Thorn Forests
b) Tropical Dry Deciduous Forests
c) Tropical Dry Evergreen Forests
d) Littoral and Swamp Forests
Tropical Thorn Forests
Annual rainfall less than 75 cm.
Humidity is less than 50 per cent.
The mean temperature is 25-30 °C.
The trees are low and widely scattered.
Acacias and Euphorbias are very prominent.
The Indian wild date is common. Some grasses also grow in the rainy season.
6. Rs.4692 is divided among 6 men, 8 women and 10 children. The ratio of share of a man, a woman and a child is 5:4:3. What is the share of a child?
5:4:3 is the ratio of share when we take a man, a woman and a child individually.
The share of group of men, women and children as groups depend on their numbers too. Therefore, the shares of groups of men, women and children is in the ratio
5 X 6 : 8 X 4 : 3 X 10
= 30 : 32 : 30
= 15: 16 : 15
Share of children as group = 15/46 * 4692
Share of each child = 1530/10 = 153.
7. A country “X” annual growth of population is 17%. What is the addition of population in next 3 years. (rounding off to nearest integer) ?
Exp: Let’s assume that the present population of India as 100.
After 1st year, new population is 117% of 100 i.e, (117/100)*100 = 117.
After 2nd year, similarly new population is 117% of 117 i.e, (117/100)*117 = 136.89.
After 3rd year, similarly new population is 117% of 136.89 i.e, (117/100)*136.89 = 160.16. Thus, addition to the population = 160.16 – 100 = 60.16%
Cover the entire CSAT syllabus in 70 hours.